Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Segué


Many of you may perhaps be wondering why I am running for a seat in the Execom. She's already handling the Palladium. She's already been a lead editor. She wasn't in the Mooncake festival. She climbs walls. These are a few concerns which have cast doubt among the minds of my peers as to my capacity to serve.

I admit I am not an Execom favorite. I wasn't taught layout. I can't sing in programs. I rarely hang out in the office. But I am definitely not as apathetic or as incompetent or as irresponsible as gossip portrays me to be. No one can deny the drastic course the Palladium took under its change of leadership. It is a fruit of many talented individuals who share the same vision as mine. No one has been too self-righteous to deny the new Palladium praise. No one can deny that the captain of the Palladium's ship comes from the ALJ.

And yet, that is not my proudest work.

The June issue of the 50th volume might as well be a suicide attempt. The senior editors had hesitations on whether the junior editors will live up to what is expected of us. When I took on the position of lead editor, I am quite justified in saying that I am alone. I solicited articles alone. I was highly discouraged to appoint any associate lead editor. I had to witness some falling out and decide to not let these affect me. I had to push everything to the limit as early as March last year – myself, the authors, the Execom, the Board, the layout team, the budget – just so I can make real what I have dreamed the first issue would become. It surpassed my expectations. Find me someone in this Board who is not proud of and pleased with that precious June issue – the first of four books which is the timeline of this Board's relationship.

This is my first and last chance of serving the Journal in its Execom. Sure, I ditched a board meeting to spend time with my friends. Sure, I'll be handling Palladium simultaneously if elected, just as Toby Purisima handled the Forum and TJ Orosa handles the Veritas. But these aren't fodder for expected disappointment. They are glimpses of magis, indications of what I can do if entrusted with a position, if only given this chance. Expect big things out of me, and I will live up to it, only if you'll let me.

The two years I have served in the Journal may, as construed, count for the same as what our new editors have served. I am not disregarding their service, but neither am I going to allow what I have gone through be downplayed. To work under the tutelage of superiors who are in intense conflict did more than traumatize me. It taught me patience, respect for seniority, contemplation of personal relations, and most of all, initiative and independence, regardless of misconstruction. These have gone unnoticed, yet they count for something as they have shaped who I am now.

This candidacy is a renewal of my commitment and loyalty to the Journal. I have served it as a member and as a lead editor. Now, let me serve it as part of its Executive Committee. I'm on my last chance. Let me serve the Journal to the fullest.

For God's, not great, but greater glory.

This humble servant remains in waiting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home