Thursday, February 01, 2007

the new condition

Date No. 1

Three days (or was it two?) after the New Year found me and R having the exquisite greens (something chicken salad with a lot of veggies, yummy!) at The Press in Powerplant Mall.

R, my friend of six years, arrived from Thailand for the holidays. He’s been working for the Philippine Educational Theater Association’s (PETA) Rockefeller-funded, six-year Mekong project. He’s got himself shuttling back and forth Vietnam, China, Thailand and Indonesia reviving post-communist theater at the grassroots level. I’ve got to admit to myself he hasn’t aged, his wit remains sharp and his passion for theater is awesome. He’s an exception to the thespian stereotype. I’m a real fan of this guy’s talent and management skills, not to mention his being 90% left-brained. The guy’s a pillar of strength; no wonder the likes of Myra Beltran seek him out on purpose for their productions.

R left for Thailand a couple of days ago, but not without a pat on my back (“Don’t let him drive you crazy. From what I hear you’re tired of this guy and you don’t need to be pulled down by people who obviously don’t love you. You’re smart, intelligent, pretty and lovable. How he treated you doesn’t matter. At all. How you treated him just goes to show how much you’re capable of. Kudos to you, it’s now over.”), a handful of jewelry and pasalubong, and a sincere Chandler-Monica proposal (When we’re 40, and we’re still single... Crazy! But he’s a very good friend and so was Chandler to…)

I’ll see him when he gets back.

Beer Spree No. 2

It is Saturday night. Temp’s 17 degrees C. It’s 9.30. I just came home from a very funny dinner with my good friend, Helene. I’m scheduled to meet Sarah and her half-French, NY-based cousin, Jean Paul in an hour. (No, Titit, I can’t date this guy! There are rules for this – no messing around with your friend’s relatives, exes, currents, and crushes. Hehehe!) We’re going to this bar sa Guijo Street in Pasong Tamo (thus, the name Saguijo) to watch a slew of Cebuano bands, Urban Dub, The Ambassadors, etc. (Both Sarah and her cousin have roots in Cebu.)

The three of us stationed ourselves in the bar near the stairs, where we had beer, Jagermeister (funny drink… Is there really deer blood in that? That’s what JP claims.), and more beer. The bar’s grilled mushrooms and fried calamari scored high 9’s on my card, and so did the music. Sarah and I felt a little old hanging around a college ground, but it’s all good. (I wonder if it’s my bad that I “dressed to impressed.” Thanks, JP. I don’t know what to make of that!)

And then we got tired hanging around in the bar and waiting for Urban Dub. One of the waitresses told us for the eighth time that they don’t know who are playing and they’re not in charge of what gets put up on the bar’s website. We sat on the stairs while one of the better bands were playing (Yes, I think at this point, Titit, it’s Fast Pitch). Sarah went up to the boutique to decry the litter of candy wrappers and plastic bottles among the shirts and merchandise. (Why? Why can’t we throw our garbage in the proper place? It’s extremely annoying and unsophisticated.) Then there’s this guy who was about to take a leak and so gentlemanly asked me if I was in line. (No. Then JP asks what’s up with “Oh my golly?”) Guy-in-the-CR uses the CR, gets out the CR and decides to flirt. I stare at him, or at least I tried. The Jagermeister in my veins kept getting in the way. I can’t quite remember what he said. It’s about the Stone Temple Pilots playing, and since I can’t see who’s playing what with all the people, I almost got up to check them out. He looked a little uncomfortable at this. He takes a few breaths before he says, “I’m kidding, but they’re quite good, aren’t they?” (“Hey, Sarj, you want more calamari?”) He started talking some more, but then the next band, Dicta License, arrived and this time, I really got up. “Hey you like Dicta License then?” asks cute-guy-from-the-CR-with-this-juvenile-cap (I’m wearing a white halter and silver jewelry. It means I’m probably a couple, if not four, years older than him).
“I support music with social relevance,” I said kindly.
“Why’s that?” (Obviously, I could have prolonged this, hadn’t I heard Pochoy saying on the mic, “Medyo masikip tayo dito ‘no? Usog. Usog. Salamat.”)
“Listen, I really want to sing to this for a bit before I head home.” He’s a bright guy.
“Alright.”
I watched him disappear into the faceless college crowd, still holding my bottle of Pale, the official drink for this phase of my life. I raised my bottle of Pale Pilsen. Cheers to all guys who are man enough to swallow their pride and soul just to find the guts to approach a girl. I bet it was hard. I could have encouraged him, but I’ve got a couple of buddies I’m hanging out with tonight.

Incidentally, Dicta License played a new song that night (early morning? Not sure…). It’s working title is “Tangay,” and I think it’s quite good. It displayed Pochoy’s vocal prowess. Watch out for it.

Beer Spree No. 3

Abi and Helene are a few of the really strong women I’m lucky to be friends with, and Rockwell is still one of the most beautiful places I have lived in.

Date No. 3

I think I’ve got the love of all the people I need right now. I’m just flattered that after a year of feeling ugly and inferior, I’m shown how many out there think of me otherwise. I’m glad I’m in the company of friends.

Date No. 4

J is a fellow fan of Baz Luhrmann, and we both had fun quoting “Sunscreen” at each other.

Beer Spree No. 2

“Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, and don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours.”
-text from J
-taken from Baz Luhrmann’s Sunscreen

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger deran0n said...

this is too funny!! im laughing my head off

5:49 PM  
Blogger Sara Jane said...

Can you just imagine Pochoy saying, "Medyo masikip dito no? Usog. Usog." with matching shooing-away hand movements?!?!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home